•Dan scores on big Geneva Lake pike
RESULTS FOR POLL s634
|INSTANT SURVEY VOTE ON – POLL s635
Will you apply for a concealed-carry permit?
How do the new CCW law changes affect me as a hunter, trapper, recreational vehicle operator or user of DNR lands?
Wisconsin’s Concealed Carry law goes into effect on November 1. If you are considering applying for a permit to carry a concealed weapon, you should read carefully the information available HERE …
You are entered into the drawing – when you leave a COMMENT – for a … ZipVac portable vacuum sealer starter kit, complete with a rechargeable pump, a hand-operated pump and reusable, resealable storage bags.
THE EVENTS CALENDAR HAS BEEN MOVED DANSMALLOUTDOORS.COM/EVENTS
Gun makers set sights on female buyers
From the Women’s Outdoor News: For years, gun stores were predominantly patronized by men. But these days, shooting ranges and shops selling firearms are seeing more female customers than ever before, and that has them changing the way they do business.
The latest data from the National Shooting Sports Foundation shows gun store owners reported a 73 percent increase in female customers in 2009 from the year before.
“The ladies are bringing in a lot of the money for the business. And if they do that, then I want to cater to them,”says Mike Threadgill, owner of Eagle Gun in Concord, NC.
Read or hear the whole story on the National Public Radio website:
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Blue green algae a threat to hunting dogs
MADISON – Note: The following release details a health concern for dogs used in waterfowl hunting. Upland bird hunters and those who hunt with hounds should also take heed, as many fall hunting situations put dogs in close proximity to water, and thirsty hunting dogs often drink from lakes, ponds and puddles. If you hunt with a dog, read the following article, learn what to look for in the field and learn to recognize the symptoms in case your dog drinks water contaminated with blue-green algae.
The estimated 50,000 or more Wisconsin waterfowl hunters whose favorite hunting partner has four legs, a tail, and doesn’t mind swimming in cold water may want to take some precautions against their friend coming down with serious illness from ingesting water containing potentially toxic blue-green algae.
“Working together with dogs is part of a long and rich tradition for many waterfowl hunters,” said Kent Van Horn, DNR Migratory Game Bird Ecologist. “Sometimes, care of these furry hunting companions requires extra awareness. While not widespread, potential toxicity from blue-green algae is still a concern for waterfowl hunting dogs.”
Recent cases included three Wisconsin dog deaths from blue-green algae poisoning reported in 2008, two in 2009, and thankfully none in 2010.
With about 80,000 waterfowl hunters, Wisconsin has the third highest number of waterfowl hunters in the country. About 60 percent of Wisconsin waterfowl hunters use dogs to retrieve their harvested ducks and geese.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
DSORe eNews S635
Outdoor Writer View all posts by dsoradio
This entry was posted on Thursday, August 25th, 2011 at 10:36 PM and tagged with "Dan Small" outdoors Wisconsin radio s635 hunt fish conservation women guns profits popular market king salmon Sheboygan" "Lake Michigan Dumper Dan" Polina Igor "cross country" "ride share" "national and posted in eNewletters. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
WATCH: Deer Hunt 2012
- @hardwaterjeff Good work, partner! You do a great job every week. Thanks to Jim Murphy of @SMASHCOUNTRY in Mauston,… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…#dsor 2 weeks ago
- Great interview with @ChannellChloe on this week's @dsoradio. twitter.com/TeamWON/status…#dsor 2 months ago
- Right on, @jonkarl Powerful people don't like the light of truth shining on them! twitter.com/axios/status/8…#dsor 5 months ago
- Join me for my free seminar on sustainable agriculture and growing your own food in West Bend, Tuesday, March. 7. twitter.com/rootsbranchesw…#dsor 5 months ago
- Mark LaBarbera and I were honored by @NWTF Wisconsin chapter as Outdoor Writers of the Year last weekend… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…#dsor 6 months ago
- Adams County
- American Fishing Contests
- Ashland Area Chamber of Commerce
- Camp Chef
- Cedar Creek Motorsports
- Cedar Lake Sales
- Chicago Outdoors Show
- Deer Fest
- Dumper Dan
- E. Ash Borer Program of Wisconsin
- Extreme Tackle
- Forge Bow Company
- Great Lakes Roofing
- HT IceFish
- Hunters Network
- Hupy and Abraham, S.C.
- ICE Breaker 5
- Jiffy Ice Drills
- Lake of The Woods, MN
- Living Wild Outdoors Festival
- Mack’s Motors
- Madison Fishing Expo
- McMiller Sports Center
- Milford Hills Hunt Club
- Milwaukee Boat Show
- Midwestern Shooters Supply
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinal Sport Show
- Redpaw Performance Dog Food
- Roger B’s Hunters Guide
- Ruffed Grouse Society
- SE Wisconsin Hunting and Fishing Expo
- Triton Aluminum Trailers
- Wiconsin Clean Marina Program
- Wisconsin Coastal Management Program
- Wisconsin Marina Association
- Wisconsin Deer and Turkey Expo
- Wisconsin DNR
- Wrangler Pro Gear
- Dan Small Outdoors