|SHOW #535 | 2010 AUGUST 28|
• Bear hunters – does your bear suffer from “ground shrinkage?”
|• Jeff reports on an exciting and potentially dangerous event on a recent charter trip.
• Dan spots a rare fisher in the Kettle Moraine State Forest.
|This week’s drawing is for
DVD Hunting Marsh Bucks, by Blood Brothers Outdoors
leave your name and telephone number.
RESULTS ► POLL s534
Should cougars remain protected in Wisconsin?
YES 100% | NO 0% | MAYBE 0% | UNDECIDED 0% | OTHER 0%
IMPRESSIONS: 124 | RESPONSES: 9 | COMMENTS: 0
INSTANT SURVEY VOTE ON – POLL s535
| You are entered into the drawing – when you leave a COMMENT – for a … ZipVac portable vacuum sealer starter kit, complete with a rechargeable pump, a hand-operated pump and reusable, resealable storage bags. Follow ZipVac on Twitter and subscribe to the ZipVac blog.
|Looking for Fishing Contests? Find them all online.
RUFFED GROUSE SOCIETY BANQUETS & EVENTS Online Info:
|State repeals waiting period for deer bow hunters to purchase archery licenses
MADISON – Archery deer hunters no longer have to wait three days after purchasing a license during the open season to begin hunting in Wisconsin. The State Legislature removed the three-day waiting period restriction during the recent legislative session at the request of the Department of Natural Resources.
“The law has outlived its usefulness,” said Tom Van Haren, DNR conservation warden. “The three-day waiting period is an obstacle for young hunters who celebrate their tenth birthday during the archery season and have to wait until then to purchase their license.”
The waiting period was originally enacted to discourage deer hunters from waiting until they killed a deer before purchasing a license and to discourage a person from buying a license for someone who had killed a deer but either did not have a tag, or did not want to use the tag on their deer.
“The waiting period is inconvenient for anyone who didn’t purchase a license prior to the season then realizes they have the coming weekend open with time to go hunting. If they do not think to purchase the license ahead of time they are unable to use the license that weekend. It has especially been a deterrent for non-residents who travel great distances to
Wisconsin on a Thursday or Friday to spend the weekend with family or friends or for the primary purpose to archery hunt for deer.”
Van Haren said that before the law was changed the deer population was low and the number of deer a person could get tags for was limited.
“Basically, each archer was issued just a tag that was good for a buck or an antlerless deer. The fact is, abundant harvest tags are now available in most deer management units making it possible to harvest multiple deer legally,” he added.
The requirement that people wear a back tag while hunting reduces the incidence of hunting without a license. If a conservation warden suspects that something is wrong, the warden can find out instantly through the automated licensing system, when a license was purchased right down to the minute, which is also printed on the license or back tag. In 2009, bow hunters purchased 208,022 licenses in Wisconsin.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
CONTACT: Tom Van Haren, Warden, 608-266-3244
DSORe eNews s535
Outdoor Writer View all posts by dsoradio
This entry was posted on Saturday, August 28th, 2010 at 8:10 PM and tagged with action, archery, bass, bear, bow, Capt. Joe Walcott, Capt. Roger LaPenter, charter, Dan Small, dangerous, deer stands, elaborate, eNews, exciting, fish, fisher, fishing, ground, hot, hunt, hunters, hunting, Jeff Kelm, Kettle Moraine, Kim Wegmann, king, Lake Michigan, Lake Superior, license, newsletter, Outdoors, period, Poll s535, potential, purchase, rare, repeal, Richard Smith, s535, salmon, shrinkage, Sponsors, State Forest, tax, trip, wait, Wisconsin and posted in eNewletters. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
WATCH: Deer Hunt 2012
- In this excerpt from the Deer Hunt Wisconsin TV special, Bryan Richards warns about the risks of CWD in Wisconsin. youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCYZc…#dsor 14 hours ago
- Be sure to like and follow facebook.com/deerhuntwi/ for updates. Deer Hunt WI 2017 coming to TV in November! Stay tuned for dates and times.#dsor 18 hours ago
- Check the Deer Hunt WI FB page regularly for updates on this year's TV Special, to air on Fox Sports and PBS in Nov. facebook.com/deerhuntwi/#dsor 1 day ago
- @hardwaterjeff Happy Birthday a couple of days in advance. Hope you're feeling better. #35GoingOn12#dsor 1 day ago
- Enjoyed exploring wetlands and @FlywaysEx in my @Honda Pioneer 1000 taping two segments for Outdoor Wisconsin twitter.com/FlywaysEx/stat…#dsor 3 days ago
- Adams County
- American Fishing Contests
- Ashland Area Chamber of Commerce
- Camp Chef
- Cedar Creek Motorsports
- Cedar Lake Sales
- Chicago Outdoors Show
- Deer Fest
- Dumper Dan
- E. Ash Borer Program of Wisconsin
- Extreme Tackle
- Forge Bow Company
- Great Lakes Roofing
- HT IceFish
- Hunters Network
- Hupy and Abraham, S.C.
- ICE Breaker 5
- Jiffy Ice Drills
- Lake of The Woods, MN
- Living Wild Outdoors Festival
- Mack’s Motors
- Madison Fishing Expo
- McMiller Sports Center
- Milford Hills Hunt Club
- Milwaukee Boat Show
- Midwestern Shooters Supply
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinal Sport Show
- Redpaw Performance Dog Food
- Roger B’s Hunters Guide
- Ruffed Grouse Society
- SE Wisconsin Hunting and Fishing Expo
- Triton Aluminum Trailers
- Wiconsin Clean Marina Program
- Wisconsin Coastal Management Program
- Wisconsin Marina Association
- Wisconsin Deer and Turkey Expo
- Wisconsin DNR
- Wrangler Pro Gear
- Dan Small Outdoors